Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Lee Speaks Out


7:30 P.M. THURSDAY, WYCKOFF
LIFE-CHANGING Moment
Lee Woodruff talks about her memoir, "In an Instant."

Wednesday, April 9, 2008
Last updated: Wednesday April 9, 2008, EDT 6:36 AM

TELL ME MORE: Journalist Bob Woodruff was the one who suffered near-fatal injuries from a roadside bomb while covering the war in Iraq, but it was the whole family that had to cope with his recovery from brain trauma. He and his wife, Lee, have four children, and Bob had just become a co-anchor of ABC's "World News Tonight" when the bombing occurred.

The two co-wrote a memoir, "In an Instant," about the 2006 explosion and its aftermath. Lee Woodruff kept a journal during Bob's recovery, and it was extremely useful for reconstructing their story for the book. She speaks to the public at the Wyckoff YMCA on Thursday, detailing the effect the war has had on her family.

EXCERPT: "I wasn't ready to start making decisions. I didn't want to take my first step into this new world. I wanted to relish my old life for just a minute more. All four of my children were blissfully sound asleep beyond my door. Inside my room their secure little lives were being hacked apart while they dreamed, oblivious to the chaos.

" 'OK,' I said in a small voice. 'Tell me what you know. Please tell me what happened.' "

DETAILS: $20, includes softcover book. Wyckoff YMCA, 691 Wyckoff Ave. 201-891-2081; wyckoffymca.org.

— Evelyn Shih

No comments: