Friday, December 14, 2007

Detroit Jazz-man Gerald Cleaver

Jazz without borders
Friday, December 14, 2007

By EVELYN SHIH
STAFF WRITER

Jazz drummer Gerald Cleaver will be jamming at the Puffin Foundation this Saturday with two long-term collaborators: pianist Craig Taborn and bassist William Parker. The three have played together often as a rhythm section in larger jazz ensembles, but this will be only the second time they perform as a trio.

Originally from Detroit, Cleaver has made New York his adopted home. There, he's become known for his free-jazz music. We spoke to him about the music, the scene and adopting a New York state of mind.

Q. Can you compare the Detroit scene to the New York City scene?

The scene that I grew up in was a super strong, very grounded jazz scene. Detroit is a real bebop kind of town, but it's also real open-ended. It didn't matter if I was interested in playing free jazz and trying to pursue those kind of ideas.

There's a lot more cross-fertilization in New York between different musical traditions. But New York is a lot more scene-y than any other place I've been. And that part I don't like. One of my intentions is to always personally stay apart from the clique mentality. Every ensemble I'm involved in, I try to foster that kind of congeniality with a lot of other types of players.
FAST FACTS
WHO: Gerald Cleaver Trio.
WHAT: Jazz.
WHERE: Puffin Foundation, 20 Puffin Way, Teaneck; 201-836-8923 or puffinfoundation.org.
WHEN: 8 p.m. Saturday.
HOW MUCH: $10 suggested donation.
Q. What do you mean by scene-y?

This is the financial engine of jazz, as far as money goes. Sometimes money gets in the way, and sometimes it gets in the way of intentions. It becomes a 'who you know, who you have played with' kind of scene. It's easy to get typecast here. And people want to get typecast, because they'll get more calls for gigs.

Fortunately, I've been able to avoid that, because I want to be involved in lots of different kinds of musical endeavors. I don't want to do just one thing. Because of that, and because I think my voice is strong enough, I've been able to sidestep that typecast role.

Q. What's the difference between a Detroit audience and a New York audience?

People who love music both here and in Michigan show their appreciation. But there are more people here in New York that are used to it, who are spoiled, I would say. So sometimes crowds will have more of a I-want-you-to-impress-me vibe. That's the only difference, I would say. Of course, there aren't that many clubs in Michigan. They tend to be lounge-y, and there can be more talking.

Q. What do you like about New York City as a place to live?

It's incredible in its diversity. That's the thing that I love the most. That there are so many people from so many different places, so many different perspectives. That feels like the future of the world to me. Detroit is not like that. It's real polarized racially.

Plus the food's a lot better.

Q. Do you have a favorite food?

There are so many! I'm going to have some Korean food later, hopefully.

Q. Have you ever played in New Jersey?

I've got friends out there, of course, but I haven't played in Jersey that I can remember.

E-mail: shih@northjersey.com

Copyright © 2007 North Jersey Media Group Inc.

No comments: